Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Home Sweet Home!

Ryker in the ER last week

I can't tell you how great it is to be home! We got home last Thursday after spending 4 days in the hospital with a blood infection or septic shock. Whenever there is an infection in our bodies, the first thing it does is attack any foreign objects, in Ryker's case, his PICC line that was right in his blood stream. And the infection just festers.
I kept his line super clean but infection can enter the body in so many ways.

I have a love/hate relationship with Primary Children's Hospital. I'm sooo grateful to have it close and have so many brilliant doctors, Therapists, Nurses, etc. at our fingertips, but I don't like having to go! But no one does.
He did get his PICC line out which I was super excited about. :) I'm grateful he had it to help him gain weight don't get me wrong, but it doesn't come without consequences.

We met with the Geneticist yesterday and he didn't think Ryker has Russell Silver Syndrome, but wants to do some genetic blood tests. He also ordered a skeletal study done of Ryker to rule out Hurler Syndrome, (which I REALLY don't think he has) but it's when you have the inability to break down certain sugars.

We also had a great Doctor visit with Ryker's pediatrician. He said, "even if after the genetic tests are done and we still don't have a name for what Ryker has, you are still giving him the absolute best chance at life." I had never thought of it that way. I feel like I'm always fighting for Ryker and trying to get a diagnosis (which I always will), but  in the meantime, it's okay to not know all the answers. I know that I'm giving it my all, and for now, that's all Ryker needs.



1 comment:

  1. Your giving more than anyone else would or could! Your amazing!

    ReplyDelete