Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I'm Walking!!!

Yes indeed, I'm walking! Ryker took his first real steps today and is enjoying it! It's amazing enough to see your child take their first steps but when you've waited 17 months it's all the better! All I can think of is how far he has come...I'm so full of gratitude tonight.
Ryker continues to dislike eating. We still use his feeding tube a lot but that's okay. We just try to give him food that he enjoys my mouth....he likes suckers, and sometimes a couple noodles if he doesn't choke on them.
We went to an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) Dr. the other week. He said Ryker has a very long uvula (that thing that hangs in the back of your throat and serves no purpose.) He will go back next month and have an endoscopy. They will put a camera down his throat, feed him, and see what is making him gag and wretch so much. Seems to me like having a camera down your throat can't help your gag reflex much either...





We were able to go see my wonderful family and visit the beach. He loved it!

As for Genetics...oh, Genetics...no call backs or follow up on insurance approval despite me leaving multiple messages. However, Ryker's Pediatrician was nice enough to call me today and let me know he tried getting Ryker in with another Geneticsist. He says we just need to be persistance. It's nice to have someone be an advocate for Ryker besides me. It's so frustrating when Dr.'s don't listen or follow through.   
The state offers an "Up to 3" program to qualifying kids with delays. Ryker has had their services for a year now and sees an Occupational Therapist, Speech, and a Behavioral Therapist. He has started to put vowel and consonant sounds together...uhhhh, buh, duh, dada...no Mama yet but I'm working on it! He's also learning how to communicate by pointing, making eye contact, and making sounds. These are milestones that I always took for granted with my other kids...things that come so easy for others. 
I just have to say thank you to everyone for your continued prayers and love. It's been a wonderful Summer!




Best. Cart. Ever. Ryker was SCREAMING he was so thrilled to be "driving."





1 comment:

  1. I love the video of him walking! It's so great. He sure is darling. That smile is the best!

    ReplyDelete