Thursday, January 16, 2014

An Explanation

A few of you have asked "what's a G-tube?" or "what's a PICC line?" I thought I'd post some pics to explain.
 The G tube was placed surgically. They make a literal hole in the stomach and suture it to the inside of his tummy. It's really quite amazing. This is where he gets a 12 hour feed of a hypo-allergenic, high calorie formula at night. The picture on the left was taken at night and the one on the right was in the morning. You can tell after his treatment in the morning he's a little more puffy but pees it off during the day.


I can put medications through the G-tube too (the picture on the top). You can see how he grabs at EVERYTHING and I also have my 3 year old helper beside me holding his legs. 



The PICC line is like a more permanent IV line. It's like the worlds smallest straw and it goes in his vein, up his arm, chest and ends at his heart. He's hooked up to it for 12 hours at night. And through his lines he gets fats, proteins, calories, etc. But instead of his stomach having to work to digest it, his liver does the work. Not the most ideal way to gain weight but in his circumstance it's working miracles!

He started rolling over this week! I will try and post a video. :) 

3 comments: