Monday, January 13, 2014

Mother Knows Best

Ryker gained a good ounce a day this week which is right where he should be! He's 13 pounds 12 ounces. 
I'm so extremely grateful for this blog. I know Emily was inspired to start it! It just so happened that one of her friends saw Ryker's picture (a very knowledgable mom and also inspired) and mentioned getting him tested for Russell Silver Syndrome. I've been researching it and it sound like I'm reading all about Ryker! It doesn't explain all his digestive problems but it could be the reason why he's not growing at the rate the doctors want. 
We go to see his Gastroenterologist this Thursday at Primary Childrens. I will see if he has had any experience with this syndrome and if not, then we will see the Geneticist in March. 
I'm so happy that I followed my gut and asked literally 5 different doctors to see a geneticist until one of them pacified me and said okay. Persistence pays off! I even had one doctor tell me that genetic testing is expensive. I told him that having an explanation for all this treatment would be well worth it. (Turns out our insurance would cover it anyways.) Another doctor told me it wouldn't benefit him at this time. Treating Ryker's symptoms and getting him to grow is fantastic don't get me wrong! But I want to know WHY and thanks to some MOTHER'S that acted upon promptings, we may have answers a lot sooner than we ever thought. 


1 comment: